Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Sound of Static and the Big PT

I've come to appreciate the sound of static. It's constant, unbroken, comforting, and relaxing all at once. We just finished day two of potty training (PT), and I'm exhausted. But there's this quiet hum coming from the boys' monitors, and it's the sweetest sound I've heard in a while. Really, there's nothing like it. I'm guessing you have to be a mom to really appreciate it.

Oh, I hear sweet things all day. Jackson saying, "I love Sam, Mom. I love him" in his soft little voice, for one. Another treasured sound is Sam's new little "coo." Oh, and after this week, let me add "Mommy, I gotta go potty" to that list.

But at the end of the day, the sound I yearn to hear most is static. The boys and I got Rick a new hammock for Father's Day, and one night last week Rick and I grabbed the monitors and headed outside with a bottle of wine. We sat there gently swaying between the trees on a comfortable, cloudless night and the only sound other than an occasional insect or tree frog was the simple white noise coming from those two little boxes. It was then that I realized how much I appreciated static, but this week the appreciation has deepened. I haven't gotten out of the house for two whole days, my grocery list is growing, I haven't exercised and I'm eating food that's been in my pantry and freezer for months now. I'm too tired to leave the house once Rick's home and the boys are down (I've been breastfeeding, cooking, cleaning, potty training, comforting, disciplining, instructing, dressing and undressing two kids since six this morning) so nothing will change for tomorrow, but just over my shoulder there's static...

...What's that? Sam's crying. Oh, precious, fleeting static!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Ha...love the static, sounds wonderful, but so does Sam's sweet, little cry.

The joys of being a Mom and Dad and stealing some time away together, even if for a moment...

Love ya's,
Mom