Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Gatlinburg, Tennesee

The Redneck Riviera
Two weekends ago, Rick (my wonderful, wonderful husband) surprised me with a childless (!) day away to Gatlinburg. With a battery-powered breast pump in hand, we were meeting our friends, Chris and Jill for a full day of adventure. I had never been to Gatlinburg, and when I told my friend that we were going she said, "Oh, the Redneck Riviera, huh?" What?

Despite the four million "made in China" stores that line the strip of Gatlinburg, and the amusement park-esque rides (which I can only guess to have sketchy safety regulations) in Pigeon Forge, we really enjoyed the big RR. We did realize a little too late that Gatlinburg has an awesome artisan community tucked away behind the strip (maybe something to enjoy next time). When all was said and done, I enjoyed the outlet mall in Sevierville the most--shopping with a friend, no kids, and great deals--pure fun! Rick and Chris enjoyed some hiking in the picturesque mountains, too.

Our trip to the big RR was a much-needed and enjoyed get-away.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Sounds like you guys all had a great time! Nice pic of the four of you.

You feel like a different person without kids, hey? You almost don't know what to do, but then the knowledge kicks in fast and the good times roll... Ha...

Love ya,
Mom