Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Shortest Month

"At midnight tonight, February 2010 expires. Forgive us if we kick it once or twice just to make sure it's dead."
The above quote is from Tommy Tomlinson's In My Opinion article entitled "Our Shortest month was painfully long" from today's Charlotte Observer. He goes on to talk about the much-maligned month of February here in the Carolinas and around our nation: coldest winter month in 33 years, wettest winter month in 40 years, Peppers left the Panthers, Toyota's troubles, school budget cuts, failed health care bills, the Tar Heels' losses.
As for my family, we were glad to see January become the past, and I think I actually wrote in this blog a "good riddance" of sorts. February held so much promise. That was until I learned that my kids were faking their good health and ended up with yet another head cold followed by weeks of coughing through the night. Oh, and I can't forget about the conjuctivitis (pink eye) that hitched a ride at the end; there's no better way to alienate your neighbors and friends than simply share that little tidbit. And who can forget all the potty-training fun and Rick traveling out-of-state? Maybe the highlight was when I had Stanley Steemer come and do the carpets only to leave behind a jug of water, dirt residue, and chemicals that Sam promptly picked up over his head while peering into it. That was a fun night filled with several phone calls to Stanley Steemer, the chemical company, and Poison Control (he's okay, but his poor little eye and sensitive skin took a bit of a beating). Well, then there's the minor accident with the kind, old man whose picture I'm sure I'll see on NBC anyday now framed by a Smucker's advertisement celebrating his 107th birthday. If I didn't say it succinctly before, GOOD RIDDANCE!
Now, I'll stop complaining. Already I feel bad. We're so blessed; we're so fortunate, and with that being said we're so glad it's almost March.
Tommy ends his article by saying,
"But there's good news: on Monday, March begins. Spring! Daffodils in bloom! March Madness! (Go UK!... I added that last part). Forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday: Rain and possible snow. OK, that's it. Wake me up on Memorial Day."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh my poor Sam! That was not good of your carpet cleaners - accidents happen but yikes! Rough month, huh?

Our March is starting like your February sounded, yikes!