Thursday, February 25, 2010

24-Hours Accident-Free!

Well, we've been potty training for a week, and although Sam has been very different from Jack to train, he has followed the exact same stages (interestingly enough, so have I):

The Excitement Phase
Sam- I'm peeing on the potty! I'm wearing undies! Mom's giving me candy and juice! This is so cool!
Mom- Ugh! I've got pee everywhere--even my hair! That little weapon has the most inaccurate trajectory. Is Dad home yet? I'm out of laundry detergent.

The Resistance Phase
Sam- NO! I don't want to sit on the potty! NO! NO! NO!
Mom- I said treat, didn't you hear me? When did you start throwing tantrums? Is Dad home yet?

The Boycott Phase
Sam- NO! I don't have to go potty. I will not go potty. These undies suck!
Mom- Fine! How long can a child go without eliminating? Seriously, where is the pee? Poo? I haven't left the house in three days, should I take this opportunity to go to the pediatrician and join the REAL WORLD? Is Dad home yet?

The Occasional Compliance/Accident Phase
Sam- Mom, I gotta go potty! I'm mobile. I can pee on trees and Mom's okay with it!
Mom- Good boy! See the light? It's there, near the end of the tunnel! It's the weekend, and Daddy's home. Life is good again, except Dad needs a little potty training. I'm sure he'll do fine...Mom's going away for awhile; be good for Daddy!

Accidents
After backing into the car of the nicest centegenarian on the planet yesterday as I was leaving Harris Teeter, I was pretty sure my day couldn't get any worse (and thank God, it didn't). Fast forward 24 hours (17 calls to the insurance company, auto body shop, and the aforementioned senior citizen), and we decide to call Dad (who's in Arizona this week) to catch him up on all the fun we've been having. At the conclusion of our conversation he remarked, "Yea! Both Sammy and Momma went 24 hours without an accident." Any bets on who has the next one?

1 comment:

Linda said...

Cute story Christi! Sorry about the accident (s)! Glad everyone is well.

Keep goin' Sammy!!!