Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tax Dollars at Work


Ahhhh...where to start? Well, I had finally gotten both boys in bed one night earlier this week when I remembered that Rick had picked up some fire logs for me before leaving on a business trip. I went to the garage and pulled out a log, grabbed a flashlight and proceeded to open the flue. I opened and closed it several times just to be on the cautious side--I hadn't started a fire in our fireplace since last year, but I knew the drill. I went about cleaning up the kitchen and thought the smell coming from the fireplace was a little strong (just the paper burning; no big deal). Within a minute, the smoke alarm upstairs was going off. I ran up to turn it off, which took me several minutes--seriously, it was hard-wired (no batteries), I had to pull the wires out! Jack was crying, but I thought I'd go back downstairs and see if I could fix the problem. As I descended the stairs and into a thick blanket of smoke where the first level of my house used to be, I panicked a little. There I was staring into the blazing fire log in my fireplace saying to myself "How do I fix this?" I ran to the phone with fingers shaking: nine...one...one. "Nine one one, what's your emergency?" "Fire!" I hear myself say aloud while thinking to myself that this is not the warm, comforting, husband's-out-of-town, kids-are-in-bed, grab-a-glass-of-wine fire I was envisioning just minutes (three, maybe four minutes) ago. The operator connected me to the fire department, and within 30 seconds of hanging up there I was descending those stairs (again) with two sleepy boys in my arms (all my hard work--gone). We headed across the street to our neighbors who lovingly calmed us down...and then proceeded to laugh at us (okay, me). Six fire vehicles later (two large trucks, four cars--all with flashing lights and sirens disrupting the calm of our sleepy neighborhood), the fire chief informed me that I did, indeed, get the flue open...partially. In the end, Jack had a blast watching the vehicles, meeting the firemen, playing with their high-powered flashlights and cameras, and little Sam went back to sleep without a peep--as if all this were normal. Once the trucks were gone, the smoke was cleared (almost), the kids back in bed, I realize that the firemen left my firelog burning for me. But as I sat in front of it with my glass of wine, staring at the charred metal and brick, I thought to myself, "What were they thinking? They left me with an open flame?" And I've never enjoyed a fire less in my life.
The next morning, Jack, Sam and I brought Company 16 four dozen cookies. And that's where I prefer to see firefighters--at the fire station!

3 comments:

Mary Vaca said...

OMG, that is hilarious! I would totally have the same result as you. Luckily, our new house has only the gas option with the fake log, so I can't mess it up. Here's to that glass of wine!

Linda said...

Good heavens Girl!

You should of called me! So glad that you guys are okay. So sorry your night was ruined, but the smile on Jack's face is priceless - he sure liked that! What a cool, er..."hot" Mom.

"Never a dull moment with my Mom", says Jack to himself.

And cookies for the firemen to boot! How wonderful!

Well, love ya Girl and as always you, Rick and my precious grandsons are in my heart and prayers!

Love,
A grateful Mom!

Katie said...

oh my! glad you are okay...but what a great story and memory to laugh about years to come! : )