Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Lucas!

Lucas, you're one! I think it's about time I told you a little story about the day you were born. I believe it was the beginning of our third week at your house (your mom had me worried that you'd be here "any day," so we hopped on a plane to be there as soon as possible). As I was saying, TWENTY ONE days after Jack and I arrived in Rochester, NY, your mommy's doctor decided you needed to come out, and boy were we glad (especially your mom). At almost the exact time you were born, your sister got sick all over Grandma. Now, don't worry. I don't think she vomited at the thought of you coming into her life--how could she have known? We were eating at Panera Bread while you were making your way out-- but I was a little suspicious at first that maybe, somehow, she knew her life would never be the same. Rest assured on this, your first birthday; Averi loves her little brother (we've seen the love first hand). In fact, I think you're her favorite toy. And you are our favorite one-year-old! Happy Birthday, Big Guy!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Ha, ha, ha... Lucas and Averi will love that story when they grow up.

Yes, I remember that moment so well, too. I think Averi is my only grandchild (so far) to throw up all over me IN PUBLIC. And for some reason I loved her so much at that moment and after spending over an hour in puke and giving her a bath and rubbing her with a washcloth and singing to her and then finally handing her clean little body over to Aunt Christi so she could stay clean and I could get clean (which took some scrubbing), and then holding her warm little body next to mine, I thanked God that He gave me these beautiful grandkids to be with even when they are sick. I am grateful even for those times.

I miss my boys! Kisses for Sam and chasing Jack around the downstairs! :)