Saturday, August 15, 2009

Loquacious Sam-Sam

Here's a photo of my little guy, Sam, taken by my not-so-little guy, Jack. Sam's face is all torn up from a head-over-heels fall down my neighbor's stone steps, but he sure did find a smile for his brother.
I think the several weeks around his cousins in July really helped Sam develop his vocabulary. He went from saying several words (one at a time), to speaking in phrases, and then--to our absolute surprise--speaking in sentences.
When we returned from Michigan, he told Rick, "Bye, Daddy," as he left for work. Then, we started hearing things like "thank you," and "help me." Soon after, he was saying, "I want______ (insert noun, usually the words "bubbles" or "cookie"). One evening during dinner, I grabbed some ketchup and put a little on my plate. Sam pointed at it and said, "I want some, Mom." I about fell out of my chair.
I love that he's able to communicate so well, and his little voice is sweet music to my ears. Thanks to all the cousins who had such an impact on Sam and encouraged this new loquaciousness.

No comments: