Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Own Personal Book Club

In My Spare Time...
(WARNING: the following post contains no information about my sons...you have my permission to lose interest at any moment:))
Spare time--yeah, right. Well, I do steal some time everyday to read a little bit. Here's what I've been reading:
*A Million Little Pieces by James Frey--I know, I'm several years behind Oprah's book club. I surprised myself by reading this one all the way to the end despite the awful language and content...glad I did.
*Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes--My neighbor couldn't sell this at her yard sale, so she gave it to me because I was heading to the beach. Now I now why it wouldn't sell...
*Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs-- Great story about girls for girls. Fun to read and makes me want to pick up knitting again--yes, I used to knit back in the day...where is that scarf???
*My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult--Easy to read, difficult to swallow, great ending. I think I saw that the movie will be out this summer; I'm going to go ahead and predict that it won't be as good as the book.
*The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory--Interesting, historical, creative (non)fiction about the Boleyn family of King Henry's court. Exciting read (excepting the middle couple-hundred pages).
*Life of Pi (currently reading) by Yann Martel--Recommend to me by a friend. The novel starts with a good storytelling cadence, then reads like a dense religious text, then picks up again with the story. I'm about half-way through it, and I'm enjoying the story.
*The Holy Bible (currently reading) by God--can't put it down;)
*Certain Girls (on deck) by Jennifer Weiner--can't wait to pick it up. Weiner is one of my favorite authors--always funny and clever.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Hon,

Did you know that *A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey ended up being a lie with some truth here and there in it? Oprah brought James back on the show and asked him "WHY?" and he didn't really have a reason except he wanted the attention.

I am reading a book by James Scott Bell called "The Whole Truth". It is a good Christian novel about a brother that was kidnapped and they thought murdered, but years later after his Dad's suicide and his Mom dying of cancer, he became a lawyer hooked on cocaine with a failed marriage. But now a convict requests his presence with a $5000 retainer and then confesses he is his brother. He was raised by a known cult leader who kidnapped him and murdered the evil man who first kidnapped him and raped him. And now this brother says he found Jesus and wants to start his own church to help other convicts, but still is very close to his cult father.
It is good, because you don't know if it really is his brother, if he really is a Christian and what kind of church he wants to start, but being an unsuccessful attorney, now free from drugs, the money is enticing.

I just went to our new Thrift Store in Spring Lake and bought three more books there; (Not yet read) Double Take by Catherine Coulter, Cross by James Patterson and the Face of Deception by Iris Johansen. Will let you know what those end up being like.

I am also going through a study book: Facing the Giants. I read the book for the grandkids Christmas Party: The Transformers, but now I am doing the study book with it.

I enjoyed reading about your books!!!

Love ya,
Kiss my boys!
Mom and Grandma